What Do Inspectors Look For When Coming To Your Property?

Industry News,

Our members often ask what city inspectors look for when they come to inspect the property.

Here is some information:

Download the PDF Here


Are there any required inspections and fees to be paid?

If you own or manage property that has two or more residential units on a parcel of land and at least one of the residential units is rented or offered for rent, then your property is within scope of the Los Angeles Housing Code. This means that in accordance with the Housing Code, the Los Angeles Housing Department (LAHD) must conduct regular periodic inspections of the residential rental units on your property.

  • To do so, LAHD operates the Systematic Code Enforcement Program (SCEP). LAHD also conducts complaint based inspections at properties for which a complaint has been filed.
  • The purpose of SCEP and the complaint inspection program is to verify compliance with the standards set forth in the applicable building and housing codes. The SCEP and complaint inspection programs maintain the quality of life enjoyed by the residents of the City.

Examples of properties within scope of the Los Angeles Housing Code

  • Apartment Buildings
  • Duplexes
  • 2 Single Family Dwellings on lot
  • Residential Hotels
  •  Properties with Accessory Dwelling Units/Junior Accessory Dwelling Units – (ADU/JADU).

Examples of properties not in scope of the Los Angeles Housing Code

  • Owner Occupied Units
  • Vacant Properties
  • Housing accommodations in hotels, motels, inns, or tourist homes.

Download the SCEP Document

If there are other questions or topics you would like us to outline, please contact mona@aagla.org